There are many people who make trips to the lost city of the Incas, sometimes only one day. But if you have more time available, Why not plan a good Machu Picchu Vacation? plan that dream trip to Cusco to Machu Picchu.
I believe that this is the ideal way, but it can vary if it comes from very low places, since it will need a previous acclimatization, in the Sacred Valley of the Incas for example, to then go to Machu Picchu and finish its journey in the city of Cusco.
All the people who travel to the citadel pass through the city of Cusco, but there are many, many reasons not to miss the Sacred Valley on their trip to Machu Picchu.
Before arriving in Cusco:
Book Machu Picchu tickets
To begin, if you plan to make this trip on your own and not on an organized tour, know that any trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu begins with the purchase of tickets to Machu Picchu. Especially if you want the mountain Huayna Picchu, since the Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu tickets must be booked at least 4 months in advance and even then, you will have to make do with the tickets available for the remaining days; If you want to choose the group and the day you want to enter the Huayna Picchu mountain, I recommend you book these tickets 6 months in advance.
Please consider the following Machu Picchu tickets:
- Machu Picchu Solo ticket: 2,500 people per day.
- + Huayna Picchu: 400 people per day.
- + Mountain: 800 people per day.
- + Museum: According to availability of Machu Picchu Solo.
Book train tickets hotels and guides
After reserving the Machu Picchu tickets, the next thing is to book the train tickets. Then you can worry about plane tickets, hotels and guides. From coming in high season (May – August) all this will have to be booked a few months in advance. Otherwise it is likely that you will have to spend some more money, since last minute reservations in high season are very expensive .
Organize the hotel and other services
Like the Machu Picchu Ticket and train tickets, you should organize tourist services such as hotels and itineraries. Of course it can also be done once in the city in Cusco, however, this is more difficult in high tourist season. At the last moment, it is still possible to get hotel availability or itinerary of the visitor’s preference.
During the high season of tourism, finding hotels once in Cusco can cause the prices of these to increase. This happens in the same way with the travel itinerary. There are hotels of all quality and prices. Another option is to get a hotel in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, one of the most beautiful places in the region or if you are more adventurous, you can lodge in a hotel in Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu.
What to bring?
When traveling at the last minute to Machu Picchu it is common to forget the most important objects. Below is a list of the necessary things to take to the Inca Citadel.
- Passport or identity document.
- Ticket to Machu Picchu, train, plane, etc.
- Credit card, debit card or enough money I recommend 300 soles.
- Photographic camera.
- Warm clothes.
- Objects of personal hygiene.
- In general, last minute trips to the inca city are a few days. The minimum number of days necessary to know the Wonder of the World is 2. However, it is better to enjoy 4 or 5 days to better know what Cusco offers to the visitor.
- Usually, the last minute trips are made by adventurous people who do not like to plan. This is possible to do. However, in high season, it is advisable to take the necessary precautions and reservations.
- The rainy season (from October to March) coincides with the low tourist season. It is advisable to make the last minute trips to Machu Picchu at that time of year. The services have greater availability and prices are also reduced.