Pisac Peru: If you travel to Machu Picchu in Cusco, Peru; Be sure to include the ruins of Pisac in your itinerary. This Inca archaeological site is one of the jewels of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. It has temples and palaces carved finely in stone. Ready to know it?
The Archaeological Complex of Pisac:
The archaeological complex, located on the top of a hill from where a good part of the Sacred Valley domine. It is composed of groups of platforms and architectural structures scattered on the slopes and at the top of the hill. According to the archaeologist and ethnohistorian John Rowe, Písac is part of the inheritance of Inca Pachacútec, who could have ordered its construction. Due to its situation and its specific characteristics, we can say that it was an Inca center of great importance.
A perfect triangle:
Inca urbanism is of an impressive sophistication and planning. All buildings are located within a rationality that privileges geometry. Thus, we can say that the location of Pisac is perfectly calculated. According to the researcher Angles Vargas, who has devoted much of his life to the study of this archaeological group, the ruins of Pisac, together with Cusco and Piquillacta, form an equilateral triangle in which each point is 33 km away from each other , and the three are located at 3,300 meters above sea level.
How to get to Pisac?
Pisac is located 1 hour from the city of Cusco on the highway (34 kilometers). It is reached by the road that leads to Sacsayhuaman.You can take the public transport buses in Puputi Street in the Historic Center of Cusco.
The ruins of Pisac in the Sacred Valley of the Incas:
What to see in Pisac?
In Pisac there are several tourist attractions:
- The town of Pisac: very beautiful mountains surround the magic town of Pisac. There you can enjoy nature as well as its square and church.
- The market of Pisac: The traditional market of Pisac was a very important commercial place for centuries. Today, many tourist visit it, especially on Sundays.
- The ruins of Pisac: The most attractive tourist attraction of Pisac. It has important Inca remains as Machu Picchu as the Temple of the Sun.
How are the ruins in Pisac?
In this enclosure, in addition to superimposed terraces, you will find ceremonial baths, a residential settlement and the largest Inca cemetery (the oldest in South America).
Mountain below, you will find the complex of temples exquisitely carved in granite. There are ceremonial altars, wells of water and the beautiful Temple of the Sun.
These are the archaeological sites of Pisac:
- Group of platforms of Acchapata: It is formed by 40 platforms that form an inverted triangle, that is to say, it will see the platform smaller, when it begins to ascend.
- Torreones or Pucaras: In total there are more than 20 towers. Some are attached to the mountain. The others are elevations of compact mass.
- Intiwatana neighborhood: It is the main neighborhood. It houses finely constructed temples and palaces. Its enclosures are more large than other neighborhoods. Here you can see the ‘Intiwatana’.
- Barrio de Tianayuc: Tianayuc translates “Que tiene asiento”. It is known as a kind of sofa for 2 people made of stone, with backrest and elbow pads.
- K’alla Q’asa neighborhood: Here you will see chambers, towers, and a tunnel 3 meters long. And the best This neighborhood built next to impressive ravines.
- Pisaq’a neighborhood: This neighborhood has a semicircular shape, in harmony with the circumference of the mountain, here you can see more than 20 enclosures, built in amazing order.
- Qanchis Raqay Quarter: This neighborhood is a kind of checkpoint, guarding the northeastern side of the city of Pisac.
When is the best time to go to Pisac?
The dry season (from April to October) is the best time to visit Pisac. During those months there is less chance of rains so the tour is easier. It is recommend to visit Pisac Complex in the early hours of the morning.
Tips for visiting Pisac:
- Bring a bottle of water before and during the trek.
- It is advisable to use hiking shoes. That way you will avoid kinks and accidents.
- Take rain poncho with you.We don’t know if a precipitation pass during your visit.
- The day is hot so it is advisable to wear a hat, sunscreen and sunglasses.
- The best way to understand Pisac is with the company of a tour guide. The tours include this service. Another option is to hire one at the entrance door.